Sunday, May 9, 2010

Exciting times

At 10:30 am today, I exited the Barangay Village Park in UP Village which houses three clustered precincts of the Fourth District of Quezon City after casting my vote for the 2010 National Elections here. Yesterday was our workshop on transgender human rights advocacy and after the workshop, the girls talked excitedly about the elections happening today. The last thing we spoke about was waking up early to go to our respective polling places and making history by electing Ang Ladlad Partylist to Congress. Ang Ladlad is the only TLBG political party of its kind in the world and everyone is hopeful that it will get at least one seat in the partylist system. These are exciting times indeed!

I wanted to show pictures of the long queue in my polling precinct as I brought my camera to vote today. Just in case an emergency arose, I wanted to be armed with something to document it. The voting process was uneventful all in all save for the long lines that everyone should have expected. After being in line for 2 and half hours, I finally entered the station where the voting machine was. It took me under 15 minutes (the maximum time allowed per person to vote) to finally feed my ballot to the machine. I left the precinct right after and walked home. When I got home I took a picture of my right pointer finger still covered in indelible ink to show that I voted for evidence. Unfortunately, my laptop conked out on me. This new laptop I am using cannot seem to read my digital camera or its memory card. I have to figure that out in the coming days so I can show some pictures here.

In the meantime, I just want to let the whole world know that today history is being made in my country and I am honored to be part of it.

No comments: