Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gender Identity Disorder stays in the DSM V

In spite of a global campaign to depathologize trans identities, the American Psychiatric Association (APA) working group revising the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has decided to retain Gender Identity Disorder (GID) in the fifth edition of the DSM. The APA draft can be found here.

This for me is nothing but a grave abuse of power. I am glad that soon transgender human rights advocacy groups will come together to ensure a worldwide response to the tyranny of the APA.

In the meantime, the fight for depathologization continues.

2 comments:

Monica Roberts said...

Why am I not surprised at this outcome?

PinayTG said...

Me neither. I just wonder how much longer it will take for the APA to finally delist GID. I have a feeling that it will happen in our lifetime.